The New Year is almost upon us, and it is that time when we start thinking about all of the resolutions we want to tackle in the next 12 months. Many of you already took on - and mastered - new challenges over the past year, and you are active and enthusiastic "recruits" in this Badass Army.
But it never hurts to put our beliefs and promises in writing. So here is the Badass Army 2012 Resolution. This one definitely belongs on the fridge, office bulletin board and anywhere else where it will remind you what this fitness journey is all about.
Badass Army 2012 Resolution
My body is a fortress that must be respected, fortified and prepared for any and all of life's battles. I, _________________, as a devoted recruit of the Badass Army, do hereby resolve to stand firm in the duties and responsibilities inherent within.
Because the Army individually and collectively must stay strong and healthy, I resolve to abide by the the following principles:
• I will find at least 30 minutes a day at least five days a week for moderate physical activity. My personal fitness goal is to be active ____ minutes a day for ______ days a week. I choose ______________ for my physical activity (ies).
• I will not use the D-word. Instead, I will eat to live; I will eat to fuel my active lifestyle.
• I will fuel my Badass with clean food, 85 to 90 percent of the time, incorporating "real food" like fruits and vegetables, dairy and lean meats and fish into my eating.
• When I crave something that falls in the category of "not so Badass approved," I will - approximately 10 to 15 percent of the time - let myself enjoy it in moderation. Life is about enjoyment, not an existence of meager rice cakes.
• I will in all things seek balance, taking care of my fortress even as I push it to new challenges.
• I will complete one fitness challenge that I have, until now, been too ______ or ______ to do. My personal goal is to, before the end of 2012, ______________.
• I will support, respect and cheer on my fellow recruits. I will not be afraid to turn to them for guidance or encouragement when I need it. When I need a swift kick in the Badass for motivation, I will ask for that, too.
• I will not let the criticisms or passive-aggressive comments of naysayers bring me down. My eyes will stay on the prize.
• If I fall down, I will get back up and press on. That’s how the Badass Army rolls.
I am strong and capable of great things. I will use this resolution as constant guidance and motivation in the year ahead. Hooah!
Coming up: Fitness and health essentials for your carry-on holiday travel bag...