What's worse than boredom? Sweaty boredom! If you've ever been there - the class where the instructor is using the SAME playlist as every other week, for the SAME exercises and SAME number of reps - you know this can feel a little like a military camp. We just keep checking the clock, hoping the misery will end soon. Shoot me now, shoot me now, shoot me now....
But workouts don't have to be, nor should they be, dull. In fact, when it gets even the slightest bit comfortable, it is time to switch things up. Yet we don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel. We can just change the reps, the order of the moves, the method of doing the moves, etc. to make it feel like an entirely new routine.
By taking the same 5 exercises and smashing them up in different ways, we can go weeks and weeks without ever getting bored. The sweat will pour off in buckets, but we will be exhilarated as opposed to snoozing through it!
Here's the skinny:
The 5 Moves
2. Leap Frogs: Leap forward like a frog, landing on your heels softly as you lower into a squat and then leap forward again.
3. Waist Cinchers
4. Tricep Dips
5. Walking Pushups
The 5 Options
1. Traditional Timed: Do each exercise for 30 to 60 seconds, in order, without stopping (or with very brief rest). Cycle through two to three more times, depending on schedule and fitness level.
2. Race the Clock: Do 10 reps of each exercise, without stopping, in this order: Burpees, Walking Pushups, Leap Frogs, Waist Cinchers, Tricep Dips. Go through as many cycles as you can in 15 minutes.
3. Pyramid Reps: Do the exercises in reps of 50, 25, 15, 25, 50 corresponding to this order: Leap Frogs, Tricep Dips, Burpees, Walking Pushups, Waist Cinchers. Cycle through two to three times.
4. Race Yourself Reps: Do 15 reps of each exercise in this order as quickly as you can, timing yourself: Leap Frogs, Tricep Dips, Burpees, Walking Pushups, Waist Cinchers. Next time, try to beat your own PR!
5. Shuffle the Deck: Create two sets of cards. One set has each of the 5 exercises on them. The other has the following numbers, indicating reps: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. Pick from each of the decks to determine what your workout will be - and pray to the Burpee Gods that you don't get the 50 Burpees combo! It can be done, but it will not tickle ;)
Coming up: Hydration Matters...A cycling profile with playlist to roll through!..and I try Energy Bits for extra mojo!