A native Floridian, I have always considered late September to be the cruelest time of the year.
See, in other states this is when the summer heat breaks and gives way to cool mornings and nights. The leaves begin their slow turn to brilliant shades. Everyone is talking about - and enjoying - hot chocolate and pumpkin lattes.
But in Florida, September is just midway through hurricane season. Sure, we might get a morning or two like we had this week when Mother Nature teases us with low humidity and mornings in the high 60s ...only to smack us with 90-degree, humid afternoons. The thought of drinking anything hot, even something as delicious as a pumpkin-flavored coffee, is about as appetizing as eating room-temperature tuna from a can as the latest hurricane blows through.
So what's a South Florida girl to do when she sees all these tweets about warm pumpkin this and hot pumpkin that? Well, make a cold pumpkin smoothie of course! I enjoyed this awesomeness-in-a-glass Thursday night after my second cycle class of the day, along with the new Pumpkin Paleo Krunch from Steve's Original. As a late-night mini meal, it was perfect refuel. Not to mention a party on my tastebuds!
I loved it so much, I had the smoothie again for pre-TRX class fuel this morning.
This is my new favorite smoothie for a few reasons:
- It is so creamy and rich, you'd swear it was indulging. Yet it has just 250 calories, give or take, and is packed with protein, healthy fats, and amazing flavor.
- The starring ingredient is pumpkin, which is packed with fiber and good carbs - perfect for my pre- or post-cycling fuel, especially on days when I teach two classes.
- It can be enjoyed as breakfast, a mid-afternoon mini-meal, a late-night light "dinner" or just plain old dessert.
- It takes all of 3 minutes to whip up.
- It is Paleo-approved - delicious proof that eating this way can be tasty and easy.
So go ahead, enjoy this - whether you are in a place where fall has "bloomed," or here in sunny Florida, where there is no season besides hurricane season until after Nov. 30!
Coming next week: SexyBack starts w the shoulders...this circuit will burn em up!