Yeah, so this #PALEO eating thing? I.Am.Loving.It.
Not just because my energy level is higher (as if that were even thought possible!), and not just because I feel lighter and less sugar-fiendish.
I am loving it because on the Paleo plan, I can eat breakfast for all three meals - including pancakes. Yep, that's right. Pancakes!
Saturday night, inspired by the awesome coconut pancake recipe I found via Blogilates (I heart the FitFluential network of amazing fellow bloggers) and my colleague's non-Paleo but healthy version, I decided that the rainy weekend called for an all-day-Sunday breakfast party.
It was delicious eats all day long, and it fueled by day of teaching Power Core and Badass Bootcamp at FSU's Doak Campbell Stadium. I say we only live once, so feel free to make this menu your own one day soon!
Here's what Breakfast Paleo-Palooza looked like:
Breakfast 1: Smoothie!
- 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/5th avocado
- 1 packet stevia
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- Ice cubes
Breakfast 2: Coconut-Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by the Blogilates original!)
Ingredients (1 large serving)
- 2 TBS coconut flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 TBS ground flaxseed
- 1 TBSP wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 chopped apple
- 1 tsp vanilla liquid Stevia
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raspberries mixed w 1 Tbsp honey and heated to make a sauce
- Mix all ingredients together (it will thicken as you stir and let it set for a couple of minutes).
- Place dollops of the batter on skillet, heated to medium, and greased with coconut oil.
- Flip after bottom turns golden brown, less than a minute. Let the second side turn golden.
- Top with fresh berries or heat 1/2 cup crushed raspberries with a little honey in the microwave, making a berry sauce.
SO good, and filling! AND under 250 calories, plus over 15 grams of protein and less than 5 grams of fat!
Breakast 3: PALEO Egg Scramble
Ingredients ( This makes 1 big plate to finish the day, with lots of much needed protein after two back to back classes including bootcamp!)
- 1 egg, 2 egg whites
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced portobella mushrooms
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1/5th avocado, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast (really good for you, and adds a cheesy flavor)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Tsp. coconut oil
- 2 slices Julian's Bakery coconut Paleo Bread, toasted
- Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl.
- Heat a skillet with the coconut oil to medium-high heat.
- Sautee the mushrooms until soft, then add the spinach, salt and pepper.
- As it begins to wilt, add the eggs and scramble.
- When the eggs are close to done, add in the chicken and tomatoes. Scramble a bit more, then serve, topping with the nutritional yeast.
- Serve with a side of fresh berries or melon.
In between these meals, I had a couple of snacks including an apple with almond butter and a Steve's PaleoKit (more on that coming Thursday!) So, yeah. Eating #PALEO is awesome - especially when pancakes and eggs are in the mix!
Try for yourself this coming weekend!