But I recently learned how to turn cauliflower into rice - with a cheese grater as my "abracadabra wand." From there, chicken fried rice "hatched" in my kitchen! And at that moment, I swear I heard a cinematic overture for a split second. I had officially bought into the Paleo eating -- hook, line and coconut milk! The Paleo Cave Dwellers rejoiced like angels from on high!
This chicken fried rice contains zero actual rice. But here's my Badass CEO Guarantee: if I served it to you and didn't tell you otherwise, you would gobble up every bite and think you had just had some kick-ass fried (actual) rice. Then I would tell you, "Hey, that was actually made out of cauliflower." And you would be seriously confused, perhaps. Well, let me clear up the confusion!
Fact: There is no rice in Paleo eating. It is a grain. It causes digestive irritation. It's no good for those with inflammatory issues like arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc. So this can be kind of a bummer if you liked rice but go Paleo.
Fact: Cauliflower is an awesome palate for flavor. On its own, much like rice, it is kind of bland. But it quickly soaks up spices and flavors and is a great "bed" for housing stir-fries, chili, soup, you name it.
Fact: A single head of cauliflower, grated into "rice" granules, yields an awesomely massive amount of "rice." Yet the whole thing is maybe 150 calories and minimal carbs, sugar, fat. For someone like me who loves to eat, this volume eating for less calories is called #winning!
Fact: When you sautee onions and spices in coconut oil and then add the cauliflower "rice," in just 5 minutes it is transformed into an amazing side dish or entree base.
For this chicken fried rice, I simply added eggs, broccoli slaw, peppers and the appropriate spices (I used curry, some chili and red pepper, because I love curry and heat) plus chopped rotisserie chicken from Fresh Market. Then I whipped together a nutty coconut sauce for a Thai twist. So fast, so easy, so healthy. And it made enough to give me a few days of leftovers. Even better!
Curried Chicken Fried "Rice" with Thai Coconut-Almond Sauce
- 1 Whole head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 each red and green pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
Thai Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp. lite coconut milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. liquid aminos
2. Make the Thai sauce by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
3. In a wok or large fry pan, heat coconut oil over high heat. Add the spices, onions and peppers and saute a few minutes until translucent.
4. Add in the eggs and let them fry, breaking them up as you would scrambled eggs.
5. Add the broccoli slaw and stir fry about 3-4 minutes.
7. Last, add the diced chicken and Thai sauce and stir fry until the whole dish is heated through.
Coming up: Badass Approved cake and ice cream in under 5 minutes? Oh yes! And one Badass Mama's inspiring post-baby transformation!